Monday, January 5, 2009

LET GOD BE GOD

Prayer changes everything. I have adopted a new way of doing things. There is no way we can go through life without being offended and without offending. I believe what God wants me to do is pray instead of confronting. Confrontation is just that -- it leads to arguing and people saying things that should never be said. Once words are out there, it is hard to forget them.

Our Pastor has challenged our congregation to a month of fasting and prayer. There is no way you cannot get closer to God when you combine the two -- prayer and fasting. I love Matthew 17. Jesus rebuked the devil from a child. The disciples had tried and failed. When they saw what Jesus did they asked Him how He could do that but they could not. Jesus said, "Howbeit this kind goeth out but by prayer and fasting." (That is KJV -- Matthew 17:21. You will not find that scripture in NIV). So, there must be power in the combination.

Saturday I was at one of the lowest times in my life. My marriage is wonderful, and there are no problems there, but there are other areas I cannot seem to conquer. One precious lady gave me this: Habakkuk 3. She wrote it down in a song that she had composed in years past when she was going through much the same thing as I am at this time. She gave it to me. I will keep this in my Bible forever and I will read it often. Basically, the song (based entirely on scripture) says this: Although there are no figs on the trees, the vineyards are bare, no sheep in the field and no cattle in the stalls -- HE IS STILL LORD OF ALL.

I cannot tell you how this ministered to me. When everything is crashing in all around you and you are consumed with fear, doubt, shame and guilt, you can know that GOD IS STILL GOD. He's not a baby in a manger or the Jesus on the cross. He is God on His throne. He is our sovereign Lord. He is my strength and He will cause me to walk in high places.

In Romans 4, we read about Abraham being justified by his faith. I love verse 17.
(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

When I got the "song" from this lady, I came home to read it in the Word. At the end of Habakkuk 3 I had underlined the last two scriptures and had written this prayer. Judging by the pen it was written in, I believe I wrote this about 4 years prior to this day.

Lord, help me to remember that You are always with me - - I am never alone. You are my strength. You are my provision. I will praise You and rejoice in You. I will take joy in You and bless Your name. Everything I have You give me. Everything I am You make me. Without You I am nothing and I have nothing. It's all about YOU. You are my joy, my peace, my comfort, my everything.

Sometimes God takes us full circle, doesn't He? I know that from this day forward, I will remember this: It doesn't matter what it looks like around me, God is still there. I do not have to have fruit on the tree to know that God is still there and God is still working to accomplish what HE wants to accomplish. I truly have to let go and LET GOD BE GOD.

1 comment:

Billy Mowery said...

That you for your insite. I too have a great marriage but I too have areas I struggle with everyday. Your post is very ispiriational to me. Thank You!