Monday, April 27, 2009

The Story of Jesus

Yesterday was an amazing day for me. James and I tend to get in a rut of when and where we do things, such as the service on Sunday we attend, camping spots we love, and . . . well, maybe those are our only ruts. James' mother has been ill and in the hospital. We needed to make a trip to see her. She lives about an hour away. We also needed to get back home with plenty of daylight so James and our son, Joshua, could finish our "fence" project. We chose to go to the early service so we could have an early start on other plans.


Christ Church has three services on Sunday. The first service is TRADITIONAL, the second service is CONTEMPORARY and the third is THE EDGE, which is targeted for the younger crowd. Our Pastor ministers in all three services (I do not know how he does it). Our Music Minister is involved in all three as well. I think it must be harder for him than anyone because he has to plan the music in three different settings while complimenting and enhancing the same sermon and topic.

I invite you to listen to Podcasts. If you are not attending a church presently, Christ Church is a great one to visit. Please refer to Christ Church website. www.christchurch-ag.org



James and I are typically second service attendees and we are on the Prayer Ministry Team no matter what service we are in. When I suggested to James that we go to the first service he thought it was a great idea. It starts at 8:30 AM. I began Saturday evening anticipating a really good service. And, I've found out through the years, when you expect something from God, He always delivers. I went expecting. We were greeted early by our Pastor, who always has a few digs for me (even from the pulpit) and praises for James who has to put up with me. He never offends me. Number 1: I always get him back, and Number 2, I think he must like me and knows I can take the teasing. James is always happy to help Pastor with his ribbing of me.


The Service began with an elderly member reading a passage of scripture. As he read it, I remember thinking, "He has lived long enough to see scriptures and prophecies come to fruition. He has seen hard times and he has seen the blessings of God and the faithfulness of God.".


Our Music Pastor began with the following song list. While there are no hymnals -- none are needed, these people KNOW these songs.


Leaning On The Everlasting Arms
Tell Me the Story of Jesus
I Love to Tell the Story
I Will Sing the Wondrous Story


I felt enveloped in Praise and Worship. Everyone was singing around me. I heard some of the most melodious voices and I saw uplifted hands and tears streaming. I was suddenly a little girl again trying to figure out what "part" I could sing best and the loudest. I was that little girl who grew up knowing I could lean on His everlasting arms, the little girl who knew and still knows the story of Jesus,and still loves to tell it and sing about it -- it truly is a wondrous story. I was the little girl who had no cares in her life. I was the little girl who grew up only too soon to discover the only thing that would sustained me through years of heart ache were messages I learned from these type songs.


As the fourth song concluded, the Prayer Team was called down to minister and pray for those who were in need. There is always so many needs and so many different types of need: financial, healing, restoration, provision, peace and many more. For whatever reason, no one came to James and I for prayer. We stood there, waiting, and yet no one came. I now know why. A precious elderly gentleman stepped up to the microphone and began to sing: "The Longer I Serve Him". At this point, I did not want anyone to come to me -- I just wanted to lay back against Jesus and listen to the words of this song. The man sang words that went something like "the longer I serve Him the more I trust him". I thought to myself that this man had a lived a long life and had served God through good times and bad, he may have even walked away from God at a time in his life, but he still knew he could trust Him. I became that little girl again when innocence was all I knew and would have never understood that song, however I would have known every word of it.


As we returned to our places, Pastor Steve began to sing Andrea Crouch's song that is my favorite: Through It All. He even sang my favorite verse.


I thank God for the mountains
And I thank Him for the valleys
And I thank Him for every trial He's brought me through
For if I never had a problem
How would I know that God could solve them
I wouldn't know what faith in God could do


and then the chorus


Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to trust in Jesus
I've learned to trust in God
Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to depend upon His Word


My heart was full -- so full I was ready to leave. I did not think I could take anymore. I had emotions running so deep.


Aah, but I stayed.


Pastor has been preaching a series on NOTHING IS TOO HARD FOR GOD. It was the third in the series: 1st: Understanding Forgiveness 2nd: No Financial Need Is to Large and the 3rd: NO FEAR IS TOO GREAT


Pastor had asked us on Face Book earlier in the week what our greatest fears were. I had responded but I was really more touched and moved by what others feared. None of us are really very different when it comes to fear. We all have them. He taught us that fear will distract us, fear will intimidate us and fear always exaggerates and causes us to have that "grasshopper mentality" (see Numbers 13:30-33 NIV). He encouraged us to adjust our focus, build our faith and control our fears. I remember wondering, "What does Pastor fear?" He is human, he must have fears. I know He does but He uses The Word of God, just as He instructed us. I'll not print out every scripture but I will give to you to look up and read:


Adjust your focus: read Psalm 121-1-2
Build your faith: read Romans 10:17 and Proverbs 3:25-26
CONTROL your fear: Read 2 Timothy 1:17 (He used the NIV which says "self-discipline", KJV says "sound mind")


He taught so well on self-discipline and that we have a choice. I really get that and I like that.


Pastor asked us to read and memorize Isaiah 43:1-3 (NIV)

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rives, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."





Thank You, Lord, that I have a memory for words in songs.


Now, I am not that little girl so full of innocence. I am a woman of God because God sustained me through the years and the longer I serve Him the more I can trust Him. He gave me my innocence back and restored my life. I was never alone. How beautiful it was to be surrounded by older people (at least older than me) that had seen "LIFE" and its struggles and yet here they were, singing and praises a God who had never failed them.

Oh, my Precious Lord, I thank You today for Your everlasting arms that I can lean on and You hold me tight in them. I thank You for Your wondrous story. Truly, the longer I serve You the more I know I can trust You. My life has been innocent, my life has been in ruin, my life is now a Godly life knowing well that through all of it I could trust You. I thank You, My Lord, that I truly know the story of Jesus. Amen.

2 comments:

Lana Norris said...

Girl, I believe you can preach! I loved every minute of it. Nothing can move you like the old songs we sang as kids. We need to hear them again and again.
Love you,
Lana

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed and was challenged by your post. Barbara Benton